Thursday, October 18, 2007

I Can Read (written sometime in July)

Do you remember when your parents said you were to smart for your own good? It was probably immediately following the time when your mother asked your father in your presence to go to the store and get some I-C-E-C-R-E-A-M for after when the kids go to bed. It was also about the same time you realized your parents were to dumb for their own good because you learned to spell the year before.

That in essence is the overwhelming feeling I get every day as a Police Mentor. Not that I am to smart for my own good, I proved that false by volunteering for this again thinking some how it would be different. But my parents (i.e. the levels of leadership high above my own chain of command) do not have a C-L-U-E.

In my case I was a mentor of sorts during my first tour in Iraq. Albeit the mission was slightly different, we were expected to “Go forth and do great things” with minimal direction, zero training, and extremely limited resources. I still regret that we could have done so much more if the jerks who said, “Go forth and do great things.” would of provided the resources necessary. The kicker is this job makes that year look like a C-U-P-C-A-K-E.

All I want are the direction and resources necessary, not some R-E-M-F telling me everything I need to know is on a hard drive. Apparently they forgot I could read and what I heard was B-S.